Friday, October 19, 2012

The Need for Patent Reform

Jonas Salk, the developer of the polio vaccine. When he was asked in a televised interview who owned the patent to the vaccine, Salk replied: "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"
"Learning about Patent laws is a very tedious project", said my economic law professor when we were learning about the subject a few weeks ago. And it seems that most of my classmates agree with him. Sometimes I myself am tempted to agree with him and set myself along the same path as they are within either the spheres of strict patent laws or no patent laws. However I am not convinced by either of the arguments. Because where one lacks in humanity the other lacks in spirit; where one would seek to bind us to laws unflinchingly the other would be the ender of an epoch prematurely. I am not a person of anarchy, I am rather fond of structure. However I feel like all things exist within a natural structure and all social sciences strive to rationalize the natural structure. So that the philosophy and theory of something always arrive after their focus of study, and so does the structure they place find and then place upon it. And while I do not think patents are a bad thing, I am not going to say that they are a good thing. I think that in fact it is our understanding and laws regarding them that is corrupt. We seek to patent things to raise enough funds to staunch our bleeding hearts as they tear themselves apart over our actions while we allow things that encourage bad behavior to become common place. Can patents not be reformed to allow for the wealth of society to flourish? How can we do this? Why to keep the economic model that we as a nation have adopted from doing its job?

No comments:

Post a Comment